Co‑operatives and mutuals require attention, encouragement and support to thrive. It is in the Government of Canada’s interest to educate business support personnel to recognize when a business opportunity is well suited to co-operative ownership.
OUR SIX POINT PL AN FOR SOLVING CHALLENGES TOGETHER:
- CO‑OPERATIVE MODELS FOR STABLE GROWTH: Create a national conversation on the idea of using co‑operative models to fill in gaps, create stronger more stable growth.
- INVEST IN INNOVATIVE CO‑OPERATIVE INITIATIVES: Co-finance collaborative initiatives that will achieve the government’s priorities. Allow Canadians to more easily invest in their co-operatives and mutuals.
- EXPLORE MODELS FOR UNDER-SERVED MARKETS: Promote the examination of co‑operative models in underserved markets and underserved geographies.
- LEVERAGE TRADE OPPORTUNITY: Ensure Canada’s co‑operative enterprises are directly engaged in how to fully leverage the opportunities that new trade initiatives (e.g. China) may present.
- THE ROLE OF CO‑OPERATIVES IN NATIONAL POLICY: Consider fully the role that co‑operative enterprises can play in the next stage of national policy on Innovation.
- RAISE AWARENESS OF THE CO‑OPERATIVE MODEL: These solutions can be more broadly used if better known, and government has the tools to help.